Today is the day of picnics, family and fireworks. At least here in the US. I have friends in Austrailia who just call this Wednesday, and our excuse to party. Since that really does seem to be what today has become in the US, I really can't argue with them.
But then I have to wonder, maybe not everyone is celebrating a day off in the middle of the week. Maybe some people actually are celebrating the 236th birthday of this nation.
In that 236 years a lot has happened:
1) Nations have fallen
2) 2 world wars have occurred
3) 5 territories have been added
4) 37 states have been added
5) The population has grown by 313.5M
6) The flag has added a few stars (37 to be exact)
7) Travel has gone from the horse and buggy to planes, trains, automobiles, and rocketships
8) Communicate has gone from hand written mail to electronic mail, texting, the Internet, radios, and e-books.
9) Appliances have gone from the fireplace and ice in a cave to stoves that talk and refrigerators that can tell you the temperature inside them. Heating has gone from throwing another log on the fire to programming the thermostat for the desired temp no matter what the temp is outside.
10) Schools went from 1 room to 2200 acres.
All in all, it has been a grand 236 years. Here's hoping we have another 236.